David received the 2011 Drama Desk Award for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo by Rajiv Joseph, directed by Moisés Kaufman, starring Robin Williams. He was also nominated for the American Theatre Wing’s Tony Award and Outer Critics Circle Award.
David received a 2009 Tony Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for 33 Variations, written and directed by Moisés Kaufman, starring Jane Fonda at the Eugene O'Neil Theatre.
Recent Broadway productions: The Winslow Boy directed by Lindsay Posner with Roger Rees, The Heiress directed by Moisés Kaufman, starring Jessica Chastain, Dan Stevens, David Strathairn and Judity Ivey at the Walter Kerr Theatre, and The Lyons starring Linda Lavin at The Cort Theatre
-Torch Song by Harvey Fierstein with Michael Urie and Mercedes Rhuel directed by Moisés Kaufman at Second Stage Theatre
-The Mad Ones by Brian Lowdermilk and Kait Kerrigan at 59E59
-The Lightning Thief, The Percy Jackson Musical TheaterworksUSA at the Lucille Lortel Theater
-Wakey Wakey written and directed by Will Eno featuring Michael Emerson, Signature Theater NYC
-The Night of the Iguana by Tennessee Williams directed by Michael Wilson, A.R.T Boston
-Mughal-E-Azam at National Center of Performing Arts - Mumbai India
-Love Love Love by Mike Bartlett, directed by Michael Mayer, Roundabout Theater Company Laura Pels Theater
-This Day Forward by Nicky Silver, directed by Mark Brokaw, Vineyard Theater
-The Tempest and Cymbeline at The Delecorte Theatre, New York Shakespeare Festival
-The Music Man at The Guthrie Theatre
-I Am Ann Hutchinson , I Am Harvey Milk an Oratorio, by Andrew Lippa with Andrew Lippa and Kristin Chenoweth.
-The Library directed by Steven Soderbergh with Chloë Moretz, at the Public Theatre
Lander has collaborated with many directors including:
Christopher Ashley, Stephen Brackett, Jo Bonney, Gregory Boyd, Stephen Brackett, Mark Brokaw, Marc Bruni, Oliver Butler, Frank Dunlop, Scott Elliott, Terry Kinney, Michael Greif, Doug Hughes, Moisés Kaufman, Dan Knechtges, James Lapine, Arthur Laurents, Noah Himmelstein, Pam MacKinnon, Michael Mayer, Maria Mileaf, Larry Moss, Lindasy Posner, David Saint, Giovanna Sardelli, Scott Schwartz, Steven Soderbergh, Jonathan Silverstein, John Miller-Stephany, Daniel Sullivan, Steven Wadsworth, Michael Wilson, Henry Wishcamper.
And Actors including:
Elisabeth Ashley, Jane Atkinson, Tom Aldrich, William Atherton, Craig Bierko, Jason Biggs, Stephen Bogardus, Larry Bryggman, Jessica Chastain, Kristen Chenoweth, Kieran Culkin, Jim Dale, Tyne Daly, Olympia Dukakis, Deanna Dunigan, Richard Easton, Jennifer Ehle, Michael Emerson, Mia Farrow, Jane Fonda, Penny Fuller, Boyd Gains, Malcolm Gets, John Glover, Zach Grenier, George Grizzard, Dee Hoty, Judith Ivey, James Earl Jones, Eartha Kitt, Kevin Klein, Frank Langella, Linda Lavin, Hamish Linklater, Andrew Lippa, Logan Marshall-Green, Maureen McGovern, Rita Moreno, Chloë Moretz, Michael Nouri, Ana Paquin, Steven Pasquale, Mary Beth Piel, Amanda Plummer, Lily Rabe, Molly Ringwald, Chita Rivera, Mercedes Ruehl, Michael Rupert, Liev Schreiber, Douglas Sills, Jean Smart, Dan Stevens, David Strathairn, Richard Thomas, Michael Urie, Sam Waterston, Robin Williams, Karen Ziemba, Louis Zorich.
Architecture / Themed Attractions / Public Art
David designed the lighting and lighting system for Busch Gardens Tampa "Opening Night Critters." His completed projects include “Invitation,” a light-art installation for the Sam Hotel in Houston. “Luca et Vita Universae” with artist Lori Nozic, for Art-in-Public-Places, a sculpture and star field installation for Public School 58, Staten Island, NY. Sea World of Florida’s “Sea Port” waterfront, 3 themed restaurants, 4 retail shops and exterior waterfront, as old European Sea Port. Sea World of Florida and San Diego’s “Wild Arctic,” a themed arctic walk-through aquarium exhibit. Denver International Airport- Leni Schwendinger’s “Deep Time/Deep Space - a Subterranean Journey,” a light and sculpture installation in a one mile-long automated shuttle train tunnel. Pittsburgh Light Projects- Pittsburgh, PA. Lighting consultant to interpret and execute Robert Wilson’s public art light projects.
MFA in Design, New York University, Tisch School of the Arts
BFA in Design, The Ohio State University
- 2017 Broadway World [REGION] Award India, for Best Lighting Design for Mughal-E-Azam, Mumbai India.
- 2014 Lucille Lortel Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for The Library
- 2013 New York Drama Desk Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for The Civil War
- 2012 New York Drama Desk Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for One Arm
- 2011 New York Drama Desk Award Winner for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
- 2011 American Theatre Wing’s Tony Awards nomination for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
- 2011 Outer Critics Circle nomination for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
- 2010 LUMEN Award for “Triple Bridge Gateway.” Architectural lighting for New York City’s Port Authority Bus Terminal Bridge project spanning 9th Avenue with Leni Schwendinger Light Projects.
- 2010 LA Garland Award for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo.
- 2009 American Theatre Wing’s Tony Awards Nomination for Best Lighting Design for 33 Variations
- 2009 Hewes Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for 33 Variations
- 2009 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo.
- 2009 Los Angeles Ovation Award Nomination for Best Lighting Design for Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo.
- 2008 San Diego Craig Noel Award for Best Lighting Design for 33 Variations
- 2008 Washington DC’s Helen Hayes Award Nomination, Best Lighting Design for 33 Variations
- New York Drama Desk Nomination, 2004, Best Lighting Design for I Am My Own Wife
- Outer Critics Circle Nomination, 2004, Best Lighting Design for I Am My Own Wife
- Lucille Lortell Nomination, 2004, Best Lighting Design for I Am My Own Wife
- New York Drama Desk Nomination, 2000, Best Lighting Design for Dirty Blonde
- Maharam Award Nomination, 2000, Best Lighting Design for Dirty Blonde
- Drama-Logue Award 1997, for Golden Child at South Coast Repertory 1997
- Maharam Award Nomination 1997, Best Lighting Design for Golden Child
- LUMEN Award for Sea World of Florida’s Wild Arctic 1997
- IALD Award (International Association of Lighting Designers) for the new Denver Airport’s ”Deep Time/Deep Space a Subterranean Journey”
- Ettinger Scholarship, 1990-1991 New York University Graduate Assistant 1988-1991
- New York University Design Competition, First Prize in Lighting, 1988